Anything less than a 6.5 is unacceptable.

Saturday, October 03, 2009

popping out to the shop.

So this afternoon I took a trip to Morrison's to pick up some stuff for dinner. Maybe the novelty of walking everywhere will wear off eventually, but it hasn't yet. It also hasn't rained yet, so...

At any rate, here is what I learned on my trip:

1. English football fans are, in fact, quite serious about the sport. My walk took me past the football stadium and it was packed and noisy, a little bit scary and a little bit awesome. I'm going to have to go to a game.

2. Crossing the street can be a 3 part affair at some intersections, but after watching some teenaged boys in front of me I've learned that if you wave your arms at oncoming traffic sometimes the vehicles will slow for you to cross. If they do, you are obligated to clap and cheer at the driver. No joke. I saw this happen twice.

3. Diet coke is more expensive than wine, but wine is more expensive than off-brand diet coke. I think my weekend beverage consumption over the next months will largely be determined by the taste of the off-brand diet coke chilling in the lil fridge right now.

4. Crumpets can be bought in packs of 6 and kind of look like english muffins, but not exactly. I bought some. I have crumpets. Ha.

5. British change makes absolutely no sense (ha... cents/sense. get it?). Who has a 2 pence coin? Honestly. and the sizes and colours and shapes have no rhyme or reason to them. The only ones I've got totally figured out are the one pound and two pound coins, and that's only because they look like loonies and toonies.

Oh, and also today someone made fun of my accent. It was great.

2 comments:

janine said...

yahoo... popping out to the shops...you really are strting to settle in. Your virgin bloggin mom is learning how to comment in the right place. See... you can teach an old dog new tricks. Spag squash and meat balls for supper. yum yum yum love mom

Anonymous said...

Dad knows how to comment too..... sort of, being more stuffy and concerned about appearances and all that.