Anything less than a 6.5 is unacceptable.

Friday, October 02, 2009

calm before the storm.

I had 4 classes today, which was great. I felt like I did some learning, though most of what I learned was purely administrative crap. One interesting piece of administrative crap: each 5 of my classes is assessed by one final exam worth 100% of my final mark. Neat! No pressure or anything, right?

It's kind of interesting to be in classes with kids who have just finished high school. They're all very appearance conscious and they don't really pay attention to much except for each other and their cell phones. I actually felt the urge to shush some girls today. I am officially the annoying old lady in class who is eager to learn.

I didn't talk to anyone today. I forgot how hard it is to actually start a conversation with a stranger. There were a couple of moments when I was working up the nerve to say something inane to a classmate, like "Are you from Canada too?" But before I was able to force out the words someone else would come along and make a joke or say something clever to my potential new friend, stealing my thunder. Next week. Next week I'll be charismatic and magnetic. Next week I won't keep my ipod earphones in so that I feel safe even though I seem unapproachable. Next week. I promise.

This weekend should be... quiet. I'll buy books tomorrow, do all the reading I need to do. Figure out how I want to organize my notes and things, maybe stop by the school supplies store and pick up a couple of binders or folders or something. Quick UK fact - looseleaf here has 4 holes. FASCINATING, no?

I also have a bottle of wine (which is cheaper than diet coke, which spells trouble) chilling in my ridiculously tiny refrigerator. It's going to keep me company this evening while I watch a movie or perhaps some hilarious British game shows. There's one called "Pointless" which I'm convinced I could win, kind of like I could win College Jeopardy.

2 comments:

Denae Elford said...

Here you go KQ, your first of many blog comments from me. I feel your social anxiety pain - it is HARD to strike up random conversations. Just take a deep breath, embrace your immature spinny side and go for it.
Take this weekend to relax and prepare for the whirlwind adventure to come. And maybe after your bottle of wine when welsh people come to your door you will be PUMPED to go to a raver!

melissa. said...

The looseleaf is longer too right? Won't fit in your average sized binder from home. Hope you are having fun!